Home > Plus size Forums > Entertainment and Hobbies > Big girls on film Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Big girls on film
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 02, 2006 01:35

reallyitslikethis write:
When was the last time you saw a BBW cast as anything other than the funny friend in a movie or on a TV show?

Great question! It's kinda what I'm doing my thesis on. My list starts with Shallow Hal, Baghdad Cafe, Real Women Have Curves, Sweetie, Shrek, Happiness . . . If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 07:32

I like Monique. She is so proud of herself as is and all the other women like herself, us. I love that she isn't scared to speak up and that she started that Beauty Contest for BBW. There should be more beautiful women like her who speak up and say that we are just as beautiful if not more beautiful than the women in Vogue and on the run ways... Have you seen some of those women without make up on? We look better at are worse than they do. They just have a group of people doctoring them up to make them look better and use computers sometimes to alter the image more to make this "image" to what they think is desirable. I'm glad to be normal, and natural. I just hate that its not represented more on TV for children and teens to see. All these images are doing is clouding their minds and keeping the cycle going. Cycle of eating disorders, and them having bad images of themselves. I do believe in eating good foods and taking care of myself but will never have the desire to be tiny or even average size. Someone earlier mentioned "Baby Cakes". I loved that movie when I was younger. I've always been big, even as a child and that movie gave me hope that someday someone would like me for me no matter how odd I could be or what size I was. That all that mattered was who I was to them and to myself.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 20:09

The Vicar of Dibley series on PBS. Dawn French is a lovely woman who plays a saucy, sexy Vicar with more than a few romantic interludes, humorous ones and not so humorous ones.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 19:31

Rosie O'Donnell has a great line as the fat girl in the movie 'Beautiful Girls' where she says something like "God gave the skinny girls little boobs and small arses and the fatties big beautiful breasts and big butts. God doesn't mess around. If you've got a problem with it, talk to him".... was a truly hilarious moment.
And as for the CSI episode, the guy is accidently smotherd at a BBW convention by a fat girl, but the thing was, she was diabetic among other health problems and she had been drinking and passed out on the guy while doing him. Grissom had a great line at the end about loving people because of who they are on the inside instead of the preconceived notions on the outside.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 19:29

Ohhhh... I forgot one more... the girl that plays Marcy on One Life to Live (I don't watch too many soaps, but I think I'm right).

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jun 06, 2006 09:55

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH JEANIEJC.....I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE MOVIE "BABY CAKES". BEST FEEL GOOD MOVIE FOR A BBW. CAN YOU BUY IT SOMEWHERE?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 23, 2006 06:00

What about the show "Less Than Perfect" with Sara Rue?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 11:40

There was a short lived series several years ago (on Fox IIRC) that I think was called "Babes" and all the main characters in it were BBW's. That show was my guilty pleasure simply because a couple of them were paticularly hot

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 19:17

A recent BBW character is on the series Criminal Minds. I can't recall her name, but the blond computer guru. She has unusual fashion sense, but is smart, sassy and gets to do lots of flirting with the hunky FBI agents!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 00:00

IF nobody has seen the movie with Ricki Lake called BABY CAKES you MUST see it.......its the best movie for BBW!!!!!
BB Jeanie

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 14, 2006 06:37

Well since nobody has mentioned it before, here goes. If anyone has seen "Road Trip" with Tom Green, then you've seen a sexy girl by the name of Mia Amber Davis. I think she's hot in that movie. But alas she lost most of the weight and doesn't look the same anymore. She's the girl that that skinny guy meets at the black fraternity and that love scene was awesome!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 02, 2006 07:22

freysh write:
Hi Soft,

From an Aussie perspective there is just no bbw's at all in the media that i can think off. I think most of the bbw's we see are african american or at least american, i think it's more socially acceptable and a numbers game, than within out predomenitly white society here in australia.

There have been a few Australians who are a bit larger but not really bbw, Kate Fisher back in the Sirens days, Deborah Mailman but both have lost weight too so my piont is moot anyway.

Also Hi and nice to see an other Melbourne girl here.

From freya

Hey Freya! YAY Melbourne gals!!!

For Australian BBWs, how bout Magda Subanski? Makes me want to fly Jet Star just cos they're open minded enough to use a fat chick in their ad campaign. Plus, she is hell cool.

Now Deb Mailman - wow, is she a georgeous gal!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 02, 2006 07:16

jctngirl write:
There was an episode of Just Shoot Me that was great. The main character (is it Maya, I don't remember) is thin, but dating a guy who is attracted to BBW's and tries to turn her into one. While there were a couple not so nice slams (like the guy offering to buy her elastic waistband pants if she'll gain wait) the premise was good and that normal (and cute) guys can find females larger than stick figures attractive.

I remember that episode, most especilly the thing that Jack Gallow (Maya's father said) at the end - something like: "Finch is dating grannies, men are chasing fatties - has my life's work been for nothing?". That was pretty funny.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 02, 2006 07:13

Queen Latifah is awesome! And I do think things are getting better in terms of representation. But there is a long, LOOOOONNNNGGGG way to go...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 02, 2006 07:12

Hey, thanks for the reply. I agree that things are getting better, but certainly nowhere near equal.

But, my main question is response to your post is: What is "Towanda"? Coz there's a fantastic big-girls designer clothes shop in Melbourne (and Sydney) by that name. (They dressed Casey Donovan, if anyone watched Australian Idol...)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Apr 05, 2006 17:57

Also, if you've ever seen Weeds on Showtime, there is a young BBW of one of the main characters. The show itself is hilarious, but they do some great scenes where the girl battles it out with a super perfect and super skinny mom who is less than pleased about her BBW daughter.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 23:33

Have you seen the mexcian soap opera "Rebelde", it is on Univision. There is a beautiful young lady who plays "Celina". She does a good job of bringing the role of a young BBW to life. She has a mother who wishes she was thin, her friends who love her for who she is, a true friend and has insecurities about eating and young men liking her.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 20:02

There was an episode of Just Shoot Me that was great. The main character (is it Maya, I don't remember) is thin, but dating a guy who is attracted to BBW's and tries to turn her into one. While there were a couple not so nice slams (like the guy offering to buy her elastic waistband pants if she'll gain wait) the premise was good and that normal (and cute) guys can find females larger than stick figures attractive.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 13:14

I guess I have to agrre with some of you. Monique and Queen Latifah are my favorites but you had the girl in sister act who lost the weight but she was big and then you have the girl on the Eve show she is big.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 15:29

Eathmama mentioned Kathy Bates. OOOOOOOHHHHH.....I had a tough time accepting her as the villain in 'Misery'. Every now and then I'd have to snap out of it and remember it was a movie. I kept thinking how she could have her way with me and not have to force me at all! Sorry, this is WAAAAAAYYY off the subject. She was soooo adorable in 'Tomatoes' too and then she was in Delores Clayborne and.....