Home > Plus size Forums > Entertainment and Hobbies > dLifeTV Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
dLifeTV
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 31, 2005 04:25

Tune in to CNBC each Sunday at 7:00PM ET, 6:00PM CT; 4:00PM PT!

dLifeTV celebrity hosts and correspondents include Nicole Johnson Baker, author and Miss America 1999; Mother Love, author and TV personality; J. Anthony Brown, comedian and co-host of the Tom Joyner Radio Show; Jim Turner, actor; and Gary Hall, Jr., Olympic champion swimmer? all of whom live with diabetes. These four people and share their own struggles and successes with diabetes and talk to others living with the disease in a fun, enlightening, and inspirational half-hour weekly program. Former NBC Chief Medical Correspondent and author Dr. Bob Arnot serves as dLife Medical Anchor.

Available only
to logged in members

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 01:52

Slowcooked Pot Roast with Vegetables

Ingredients:
3 pound beef pot roast
2 large sweet onions
2 large bell peppers
1 package beef mushroom dry soup mix
1 pound baby carrots
1 pound fresh green beans

Peel and slice the onions thinly. Seed the bell peppers
and cut into chunks. In a crock pot, layer half of the
onions and peppers in the bottom then place the pot
roast on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle dry soup mix
on the pot roast then place the remaining onions and
peppers on top of that. Add the carrots and green beans
on the very top. Don't add liquid to the crock pot. Cover
and cook on low for about 10 hours until the roast is
tender.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 04, 2005 13:00

dLife Wall (top)
Real People, Real Stories
"I was diagnosed this year, on my birthday in 2005, with type 2 diabetes?. I was extremely upset?because I've made it my business to test for diabetes many times, and it always came out negative?. Three doctors later.... my current doctor told me my sugar was 360 mg/dl?. I've managed to reduce my blood sugar? I am fortifying myself with diabetic information ?.I would like to one day start a walk-in support group, for those living with diabetes to come together and give love, support, and knowledge...." ? Yogiraj, Bronx, NY.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 04, 2005 12:30

Diabetes and Alzheimer's disease may be related, but not in the way many researchers have suspected.

Scientists have long believed insulin was produced exclusively by the pancreas. Now, Brown University scientists say they have surprising evidence that the brain makes its own insulin, the hormone that shuttles energy into the body's cells. They believe Alzheimer's disease may be triggered by what they have named "type 3" diabetes, a condition caused by the brain's inability to produce insulin. Diabetes has long been identified as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease, but the mechanism has remained a mystery.

Examining postmortem human brain tissue, the researchers determined that a drop in the brain's insulin production contributes to the degeneration of brain cells, an early symptom of Alzheimer's. "If you destroy the ability of neurons to respond to insulin or if you take insulin away, neurons don't survive," says Suzanne de la Monte, a neuropathologist at Brown Medical School in Rhode Island and an author of the study. The condition was found in the hippocampus, a region of the brain responsible for learning and memory.

So-called type 3 diabetes is confined to the brain and doesn't put other parts of the body at risk, says de la Monte. Other forms of the disease contribute to the risk for heart disease and stroke. The study appears in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 04, 2005 12:24

Type 2
The most common form of diabetes is type 2 (also known as noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus or NIDDM). About 90 to 95% of people with diabetes have type 2. This form of diabetes usually develops in adults over the age of 40 and is most common among adults over age 55. About 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight.

With type 2, the pancreas usually produces insulin, but for some reason, the body cannot use the insulin effectively. The end result is the same as for type 1 diabetes -- an unhealthy build-up of glucose in the blood and an inability of the body to make efficient use of its main source of fuel.

The symptoms of type 2 diabetes develop gradually and are not as noticeable as those in type 1.

Symptoms include: feeling tired or ill, frequent urination (especially at night), unusual thirst, weight loss, blurred vision, frequent infections, and slow healing of sores.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 04, 2005 12:22

Type 1
Type 1 diabetes (also known as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus or juvenile diabetes) is considered an autoimmune disease. An autoimmune disease results when the body's system for fighting infection (the immune system) turns against a part of the body. In diabetes, the immune system attacks the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas and destroys them. The pancreas then produces little or no insulin.

Someone with type 1 diabetes needs daily injections of insulin to live. At present, scientists do not know exactly what causes the body's immune system to attack the beta cells, but they believe that both genetic factors and viruses are involved. Type 1 diabetes accounts for about 5 to 10% of diagnosed diabetes in the United States.

Type 1 diabetes develops most often in children and young adults, but the disorder can appear at any age. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes usually develop over a short period, although beta cell destruction can begin years earlier.

Symptoms include: increased thirst and urination, constant hunger, weight loss, blurred vision, and extreme tiredness. If not diagnosed and treated with insulin, a person can lapse into a life-threatening coma.