Home > Plus size Forums > Sports and travel > Air Travel Worries.. Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Air Travel Worries..
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 21:07

Hey all I was listing to tv tonight while cleaning.. And I herd that SouthWest air lines.. Made a women buy 2 tickets because she didn't.. Fit into the one completely.. What are our thoughts on this?? I personally think airline seats are completely tiny.. And they could use to take a few out.. And make the rest a bit more generous.. After all not every one can afford to pay.. To go to 1st class just to be comfortable..I have a 23 hour flight coming up in August.. And at my current over 300 pound mark.. This is kinda a scary subject..

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 20:46

I flew to Hawaii in June. Being a larger person, I did not want the embarrassment nor the outragous cost of an additional last minute extra seat. Therefore, I purchased two seats in advance. I did get some looks at the ticket counter when the airline employee questioned why I had two seats. We flew US Airways. Apparently they do not have that 2 seat rule. However, their seats were very small. As another person wrote, we also switched planes 3 times and no two seats were the same size. Someone else suggested requesting the exit row for added room. It is FAA policy that if a person requires a seat belt extension- they are asked not to sit in the exit row. This happened to us a few years ago flying British Airways. They actually came over the loud speaker, expained that rule and asked for passengers to switch with us. I do not think I have ever been more embarrassed in my life! Good luck everyone!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 10:20

Oh I would be mad... I would make such a fuss they wouldn't hear the end of it. Really from what I have seen sizes 14,18,20-? are the most common, at lease in America. What are airlines thinking. Alienating a group of possible costumers or current costumers is going to really bite them in the behind. They better not say anything to me about buying another seat. I would strap myself down so tight they would have to cut me out and hall me off. I would protest my heart out if they insult me like that. Watch out airlines hear I come... come July vacation I'll be flying and you better not mess with me (bunch of idiots). So if you see me on the news in July it's because I was arrested for trashing the inside of a plane while throwing a temper tantrum.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 16:27

Thank you for the feed back every one..I never tryed midwest have to keep that in mind tho..I'm going on united and then air New Zealand..I'm just hopeing that they don't.. Have them redickluls rules that forces big people.. To buy another seat or not fly at all..I was watching that show airline the otehr night..About the southwest companey.. And they actualy went up to a guy.. And said I'm sorry sir your a P.O.S "person of size".. And that he had to buy another seat.. Right in front of evey one else in line.. I felt so bad for the guy..I'de never fly southwest no matter if I was 300 or 130 pounds.. Thats just no way to treat people..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 26, 2006 09:29

Hahahahah, I definitely feel everything you said. Up until earlier this year January 2006 I'd never been on an airplane before. I haven't had the funds to take any trips anywhere being I've been doing the college thing for what seems like forever now ... hahahaha ... and have been pretty broke. Anyways after I started my new job midway thru December i knew I was to fly to Wisconsin to visit the corporate office. So I was pretty worried that I might go to catch my flight and find out the seats were so small and unconfortable I'd have to buy and additional one or upgrade. However, the airlines I flew on Midwest had very big spacious seats and I was very comfortable ... even had some extra space to spare. The plane was made so that it was 4 seats per aisle, 2 seats on each side. It was a coach only flight so there was no first class, but the flight was very comfortable.

On another note, during my most recent trip to Wisconsin I few Delta and that was not the best experience. There plane, again was coach only, but they had 6 seats per aisle, 3 per side. Needless to say although I got into the seat I was very happy the flight took 30 minutes less than expected because I was cramped. The worst thing that could happen happend on my return flight too. I got the dreaded "connector" flights that only hold like 50-something people. Needless to say being that it was a small plane it was going to be cramped. I managed to wiggle into my seat and get the seatbelt fastend ... but the flight felt like it took forever. Me and everyone on it was cramped. Later during the week afterwards my work colleague, who is like 120 lbs,and who also went on this trip was saying he was cramped as hell so he doesn't know how I managed. I just laughed and said it was a long flight indeed.

At any rate it was nice to know that I can fit on all the different size flight and I now know the flights I should stay away from ... unless I absolutely have to.

Go Midwest Airlines .... they rock :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 07, 2006 19:58

I've logged some serious air miles as well and while I've earned regular frequent first class upgrades these days, have spent thousands upon thousands of miles back in coach.

I've never had to pay extra or for an extra seat, even on the tiny, tiny puddle jumper planes, however we don't have Southwest in these parts.

Usually a good bet (if it doesn't bother you) is to request an exit row. These seats typically have an additional few extra inches of leg room, and are often empty which gives you extra space.

The back of the plane in last row or two is good too... a bit noiser due to the engines, but offers a bit extra room to spread out. Doesn't work if you have a tight layover, but if you've got time to wait (for everyone else to get out), allows for you to have plenty of time to get around and get your bags, etc.

I would always recommend checking in online 24 hours prior to your flight. Saves time at the airport, and most airlines will let you view available spots and move your seat assignment. It's a great way to help get in a less crowded row or in a row by yourself. Plus many airlines give you extra miles for doing so!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 23:10

This is actually ironic to me. I used to fly all the time to places and was never skittish about my size. Now with the new "size" regulations I find myself self conscious. What makes this ironic is in the last 9 months I have logged some serious air miles and found that the builder of the airlines are the ones who discriminate on size. I fly coach and sometimes first class on these airlines; Delta, Southwest and Continental (Continental being my fave) I have noticed that they all have different size seats!One day I flew on 3 different planes owned by Continental and only had to ask for a seat belt extension on one! Go figure! I think that the builders of the airplanes need to get together and actually make standard seat sizes. There is no reason for someone to be squished on one certain plane when on another they would be fine. For all the builders to have different sizes is ridiculous. We end up being cheated out of money if we are asked to pay extra at the counter and then when we get on the plane, we see that we did not need the extra room for the plane was built by X and not W.

I was the most nervous about Southwest since they really seem to enforce the "extra" seat. However, I have had no problem with any of the airlines. Only problem I do seem to have is getting the flight attendants attention!

I did learn one tip though, if you are asked to buy an extra seat

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 07:49

Tricky one ... I flew back from Prague last year with a "regular" sized friend. She ended up squashed between me (not massive but well above the average!) and a really big guy. We all felt uncomfortable not just phyically but it was rather awkward. He was a lovely guy and very apologetic.

I don't see why he (or I!)should have to pay any more to get more room, however, it's also not fair for my mate to get squished!

How about a couple of rows of slightly bigger seats with a fair premium rather than paying for 2 seats?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 03:17

Well I think it's repulsive. I'm a big guy but I've never had a trouble with airline seats. I just wouldn't use a carrier that demanded I use two seats.

Also, do they make you pay full fair for these seats? because I know that people's kids travel at discounted rates and it would get me very annoyed indeed to hear that if you've got kids you can get them cut price seats but if you're FORCED to get a second seat you don't need then you have to pay double the cost.

Plus I'm not sure how they work it. I know I've considered getting a second seat on longish flights because it's actually more space than ging club or first and less expensive (and therefore better all round) but I was told that I could do that but there was no guarantee that I'd get that seat next to me.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 01:19

Sad but true...
I heard of a few cases like that.
It's sort of like your suitcase being too heavy: You have to pay extra.
The airlines have standardized seats or better they say that the avarage passenger weighs between 70-80 kilograms (about 150-170 pounds, I think).
Some airlines say you have to buy 2 tickets others let you pay a certain amount of money for every extra pound.

Normally they have the information on their internetsite or you can call their hotline and ask.

Of course it's not fair somehow..
On the other hand I always feel crowded when somebody sits next to me and I know I need more space than that person. It's also an embarrassing feeling for me.

Big people need more space and more space means more costs.
Is it unfair or discriminating? Or is it just the truth?Depends on the point of view..
Some things are seen as "normal" and we do not fit that schema.. literally..