Home > Plus size Forums > fitness > Middle Eastern Dance Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Middle Eastern Dance
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 06:26

Have any of you ladies or men tried bellydancing as a workout? Just wondering if there were any larger than average dancers in here that had any thoughts to share. I started 3yrs ago and love it. I have had to adapt some of the moves to suit my size but they still look good. Costumes can be challenge. I do not get into the cabaret lots of skin showing ones. Anyway I just thought I would throw the topic out there.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jul 16, 2010 17:58

Quoting jjiggl:

Fit TV has a show called Shimmy that is a belly dance work out. I only caught the last few minutes of it, but it looked like fun. I have been practicing the few moves that I saw and I love how it feels. I am thinking really hard about looking for a class. I think that it would be fun.

I TIVO'd that show and started belly dancing back then. It's so much fun.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2008 17:35

hey Jenna..very nice photo..I haven't been back here for awhile..are you on tribe? I have been slack on my dancing due to lack of instructors in the area..we are starting a group at the local gym..just throw in a tape and dance. I am always glad to get larger women involved. I hope when they see me dance,even tho I am not a flexible as some, that they know they can do it alos. If only for fun and to keep moving

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 31, 2008 23:25

does anyone comment on this any more? Is this working for you?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 07, 2008 16:36

I started 2 weeks ago. I love the classes and I feel that I am tightening my abs. I was wondering where you buy your hip scarves from?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Oct 30, 2007 14:46

Fit TV has a show called Shimmy that is a belly dance work out. I only caught the last few minutes of it, but it looked like fun. I have been practicing the few moves that I saw and I love how it feels. I am thinking really hard about looking for a class. I think that it would be fun.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 08:38

MelissaMac87 write:
Hey, I have seen some belly dancing, and wow, that has to be a workout! but where do you find a place to do it? I would love to try it because i love to dance! If you have any tips, let me know, id really appreciate it!

I've seen a few videos of bbw belly dancers...it looks fun and they're sexy to boot.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 08, 2007 05:25

email me

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jun 05, 2006 11:30

I enjoy punjabi music and belly dancing. (Also enjoy kickboxing and pilates.) By far, I think that belly dancing is the most enjoyable and I get the well needed midsection workout.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jun 04, 2006 11:29

I have 2 belly dancing workout DVDs and it is a very good workout especially for the midsection that tends to hold the most. It looks easy but when you are doing it my goodness you really felt like you have ran a 10k. Plus it is very sexy to learn those moves. :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 27, 2006 18:05

i've always wanted to try. something about belly dancing is quite sensual. i'd love to be able to do it for that special someone *wink

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 05, 2006 07:58

Hey, I have seen some belly dancing, and wow, that has to be a workout! but where do you find a place to do it? I would love to try it because i love to dance! If you have any tips, let me know, id really appreciate it!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 15:01

I have belly danced for roughly 3 years now. I absolutely love it.
It gives you a fantastic workout, and teaches you to move sensuously and rhythmically.
To me its more than a workout, it's a social thing too.
Not only do i workout, but i have the best fun ever. Sometimes it's hard to dance, because we are laughing so much.
I am big, guess that's why i am here. I have asthma and manage fine, I would recommend it to anyone...