Home > Plus size Forums > Music > Who Here play's Guitar? Slide guitar especially Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Who Here play's Guitar? Slide guitar especially
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 12:07

I was wondering who in here plays slide guitar / bottleneck blues. I've always loved listening to the blues and attempting to play some, but I can't get the hang of the slide... at the moment i only have a brass slide i didn't quite like the glass one.

I have two acoustic guitars one in regular tuning and one in drop D for slide. Any help would be appreciated greatly .. or sites etc.

Also who here plays any sort of instrument?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 09, 2006 23:17

I'm currently learning. I know a couple of Ani DiFranco songs but not enough to really say I "know how" :) Gotta love the effort though right?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 05:33

Mine isn't talent, i started with nothing and made a skill :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 00:16

ooooh boy- here we go...

clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, saxaphone, piano, bassoon, hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, autoharp, penny whistle, spoons and a little bit of guitar. no slide though- sorry.

i do, however, have a dear friend who is an EXCELLENT slide guitar player. lately it's been all on dobro. he's given lessons and i'm sure would be more than willing to give you some tips. if youre interested, feel free to send me a message with your contact information and i'll get you in touch with him.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 12:19

Guitar, keyboards/piano, bass, a little harmonica and drums. Usually stick to bass in bands these days...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 01:54

Slide tips....

Make sure your action is as flat as possible. The higher the better.

Try playing with the guitar on your lap and your hand over the top of the neck. It's by far the easiest way to play slide and when you get the hang try playing conventionally.

Try different sizes of slides. Glass slide are the way to go so if you're having issues try a larger or smaller one depending on what you use.

Also try different tunings. Open G always worked best for me but I could never really get the hang of D. Open A or E might also be worth a try.

Most of all try playing your own style. It's fine to try and play like someone but you'll find if you make up you own things to play and nail them you will develope better and quicker.

And have fun. I have been playing slide for nearly ten years and still at it but I enjoy every minute.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 04, 2006 10:12

I've been playing for a long time, not into slide much anymore but lately we play "Death Letter" ala Jackie White, it's a blast to play and easy to learn... check out the White Stripes "Under Blackpool Lights" for a cool version of it. Don't think that version will sound too good on an acoustic but Rory Block does a good acoustic version which is more Delta.

As to any help, can't really offer much there, everyone I know (myself included) plays slide different (from mildly to wildly different), other than the basics it's one of those things you just have to develop yourself, so like any aspect of playing you just gotta practice & practice & practice... and then practice some more... and when it finally "clicks" it's awesome.

Theres a site, riffinteractive, which has a cool lesson format, maybe check there and see if they have any slide lessons, they usually provide ok backing tracks.

Well good luck... and enjoy.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 18, 2006 05:25

I play guitar, considering slide as next project, project list is a mile long...hahahaha.. 40 something years learning guitar, now I'm learning recording on the computer..it just ain't right..hahahaha. I have a hand the size of a ham, hard to be subtle enough for slide. I wear out fret boards because I press too hard...I'm a tad too intense..hahahahaha. but easily recognizable..

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 02:45

I play a bit of guitar (apallingly badly). I like the White Stripes and have been trying a bit of bottleneck just recently but it's a difficult technique to master, needs far less pressure on the strings that you would think I am finding.

I do a bit of home recording now and again, mainly covers of sonngs i like though I hope to record some things written with a friend at some point.

Beware though, they are a bit rough and ready and really 'am; useless at playing guitar and singing!:-)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 15:36

I slide brother. There's no other like me
he he he

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 08:17

I do play some guitar, like Alkaline Trio and blink-182

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 22:30

I have TRIED playing guitar , but just cant get the grasp of it :(

I take singing lessons tho and am teaching myself Keyboard too, I love musicians of any kind, I think its a great talent to have.