Home > Plus size Forums > DATING > How to avoid being scammed. Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
How to avoid being scammed.
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 25, 2006 16:04

I've been on Largefriends.com off and on for the better part of 3 years now and I haven't seen any scammers on here. I think the admins of this site do a good job of weeding those out and most people are smart enough to report them if they see them.

Here are some of the warning signs that you're getting emails from scammers that I have encountered...

1. The picture on the profile looks a little too perfect, like it's something out of a magazine. Drop dead gorgeous models or photos that have website names on the lower right or left corner of the photo are giveaways. I once saw a profile that had Ava Longoria's picture on it. I don't seem to think Ava Longoria needs to post a personal ad! LOL!!!!

2. The person who emails you is from Russia or Nigeria or some remote part of Africa. Most Internet scams originate from those two countries.

3. The person who emails you eventually asks you for money or a plane ticket or to marry them so they can become American citizens. One person who emailed me on one website said she lived 100 miles from me but she wanted me to send her a plane ticket so she could come visit me, which makes no sense whatsoever. Turns out she was in Africa. You send her that ticket or money and you will never hear from them or your money again.

4. Some websites let you be non-paying members. A way they try to get you to buy a membership is to have some fake profile with a photo of a gorgeous woman or man email you, telling you how cool you sound. Then when you join said site that person ignores you. It was just a ploy to get you to join the site as a paying member.

5. Don't trust anyone who posts on their profile that their preferred age range is 18 to 99 years old. They're scammers.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Dec 09, 2009 09:53

Yes, there are scammers on this website.  I had an experience with one.  Their profile is no longer up.

Here's a tip to avoid being scammed, if they start asking for money and hound you for it, it's a scam.  Don't do it if you cannot afford to loose the money (and they will always ask for more).

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 20:42

The first day I signed on I found a post of a woman who had two separate profiles, one as a man and one as a woman, but everything else, including the female pic was the same. I reported a concern. within hours I received a response with the action taken. They weren't kidding, action WAS taken.KUDOS!!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 27, 2006 19:48

The 18-99 thing could be harmless and could be someone being lazy, but I also don't seem to think 18-20 year old women are going to go for 80-year olds, unless they're Anna Nicole Smith. D'oh!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 25, 2006 23:39

TrevorJ72 write:

5. Don't trust anyone who posts on their profile that their preferred age range is 18 to 99 years old. They're scammers.

I just thought they were too lazy/ignorant to specify an age range ... or simply keeping their options open, lol