Home > Plus size Forums > DATING > a new ballgame..dating in your fifties? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
a new ballgame..dating in your fifties?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 11:55

I was wondering if anyone on this site would share with me what kind of issues you have faced dating after a divorce or death in your late forties and up? I am also interested if you feel this site is successful in helping your quest for a new relationship..I havent dated since my divorce and I dont want to go through the "barbie and ken" in a box syndrome ..which seems to be pretty prevalent problem..do most men/women seek people to date that are young enough to be their children? Whatever input you can provide would be greatly appreciated..thanks ..DressedtoKill
I was wondering if anyone on this site would share with me what kind of issues you have faced dating after a divorce or death in your late forties and up? I am also interested if you feel this site is successful in helping your quest for a new relationship..I havent dated since my divorce and I dont want to go through the "barbie and ken" in a box syndrome ..which seems to be pretty prevalent problem..do most men/women seek people to date that are young enough to be their children? Whatever input you can provide would be greatly appreciated..thanks ..DressedtoKill

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 06:53

Hmmmmmmm for me I think it was hard to actually see the first person because u hear so much about online dating.... so do be careful and meet in public places where "u" feel comfortable and safe and like the gentleman said trust yourself and your own feelings....... I also start by emailing..... then chatting online before going to the phone and then in person if it gets that far.... many times u can get a feel for someone by chatting online and then if u get to the phone stage u can usually make a pretty good decision on if u feel they are someone u really want to meet or just someone that should remain a phone buddy...... it takes time so just relax and move at your own pace ... if the other person is rushing u then he may not be the person for u and if the other person is putting u off then again he is probably not the person for u either....... I also find that I hear from a lot of younger guys and honestly I may be wrong by turning them away but I just can't see myself with someone younger than my own kids........but that is just me....... so good luck and enjoy......... smiles, me
Hmmmmmmm for me I think it was hard to actually see the first person because u hear so much about online dating.... so do be careful and meet in public places where "u" feel comfortable and safe and like the gentleman said trust yourself and your own feelings....... I also start by emailing..... then chatting online before going to the phone and then in person if it gets that far.... many times u can get a feel for someone by chatting online and then if u get to the phone stage u can usually make a pretty good decision on if u feel they are someone u really want to meet or just someone that should remain a phone buddy...... it takes time so just relax and move at your own pace ... if the other person is rushing u then he may not be the person for u and if the other person is putting u off then again he is probably not the person for u either....... I also find that I hear from a lot of younger guys and honestly I may be wrong by turning them away but I just can't see myself with someone younger than my own kids........but that is just me....... so good luck and enjoy......... smiles, me

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 05:56

Dressed,
I can relate to this thread! I was 47, when my husband of 21 years passed on and I found myself back in the dating scene.
For more reasons then I care to go into, I went into the scene quickly.. dated a few guys over the past few years..and quite frankly found it to be fun most of the time, but the same old BS over and over again. and I was just at the point of giving up dating and internet chat, when I met my current sweetheart. Outside of my two husbands (1st one I divorced, 2nd I was widowed) this is the only man I have lived with and been this seriously in love with, and it's going really well. It's like we have known each other for years and is truly amazing how closely connected we are in just 7 months. We don't project a lot into the future.. just taking it one day at a time.

For me, getting back into the dating scene fast was the answer..of course, my husband was terminally ill for 8 years so I was ready for some male company...and I do seem to bond with men better on a friendship level.
I hope that whatever you decide to do works for you! Hugs
Dressed,
I can relate to this thread! I was 47, when my husband of 21 years passed on and I found myself back in the dating scene.
For more reasons then I care to go into, I went into the scene quickly.. dated a few guys over the past few years..and quite frankly found it to be fun most of the time, but the same old BS over and over again. and I was just at the point of giving up dating and internet chat, when I met my current sweetheart. Outside of my two husbands (1st one I divorced, 2nd I was widowed) this is the only man I have lived with and been this seriously in love with, and it's going really well. It's like we have known each other for years and is truly amazing how closely connected we are in just 7 months. We don't project a lot into the future.. just taking it one day at a time.

For me, getting back into the dating scene fast was the answer..of course, my husband was terminally ill for 8 years so I was ready for some male company...and I do seem to bond with men better on a friendship level.
I hope that whatever you decide to do works for you! Hugs

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2005 12:19

Hi

I was nearly forty when I split with my ex. I did, however, give my self time, about 2 years before I would consider another relationship. I concentrated on raising my daughter. Give yourself some time, if your loss, is recent.........and then try and remember how it was years ago...........to date you first have to talk to someone and sites like these are just another place to meet people...........then a public meeting.....and trust your instincts...............they've gotten you this far,haven't they? Let me know how it goes
Hi

I was nearly forty when I split with my ex. I did, however, give my self time, about 2 years before I would consider another relationship. I concentrated on raising my daughter. Give yourself some time, if your loss, is recent.........and then try and remember how it was years ago...........to date you first have to talk to someone and sites like these are just another place to meet people...........then a public meeting.....and trust your instincts...............they've gotten you this far,haven't they? Let me know how it goes