Home > Plus size Forums > Music > emo/alternative Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
emo/alternative
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 07:46

Hey there, who else here likes emo and alternative music?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2011 01:26

I do as well!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 09:14

I too love alternative better than classic rock mainly because classic rock is TOO OVERPLAYED or pushed on us cause it sells air time better, its familar. But everyone's been up in arms about how the music industry is dying, blaming free downloading sites. I think if the radio stations & retail stores would promote the new bands, play all their songs and not just the singles, the music industry would be just fine. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The Artic Monkeys out of the UK debuted in 06'. I found they're cd at the library, gave it a listen, copied it cause every single song is good to me. Then I see in 07' the new one came out, bought it instantly and loved all of it also, but still don't hear it played on college radio or alt rock stations....why. Another band, out of Canada, Billy Talent, hardly any radio station plays them, but they were on Conan O'brien in 07' and I bought they're cd the next day at Walmart. Speaking of wallyworld, they really push classic rock on us than the independent stores, and I hate how they'll only carry sensored cds and not the original recordings....thanks Tipper Gore & Jimmy Swaggert.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Aug 01, 2008 13:15

i do. loooooooooove it ;]

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Feb 09, 2006 06:02

Pink, you were close, Emu is the bird. Looks somewhat like an ostrich.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Feb 09, 2006 03:33

Well it's more complicated than that :-)

I'm a neophile. I'm interested mainly in what's new and different, I enjoy having to seek out new things even if those things I find turn out to be dreadful. If the stuff I'm listening to has filtered through to the mainstream and has had time to become succesful then it's a sign that I'm not looking hard enough for something new and I'm relying not upon my wits to find new things but upon the standard hype channels.

I have dumped bands in the past once they became famous but that's usually because there tends to be a drop in quality involved in appealing to the mainstream.

Basically, despite the fact that it dropped out of common useage in the late nineties, I like to think of my taste in music as alternative rock because I generally DO want a real alternative... something different. By definition that type of thing can't be popular.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Feb 08, 2006 05:48

@ Theo

But that's like saying "I don't like the pyramides in Egypt because a lot of other people like them too".
(Although I have to admitt I say "I don't like Harry Potter and won't read it because everybody makes such a f*cking hype about it." lol)

Somehow it sounds childish..

The music doesn't change.
If you thought it was good, how can it turn bad just because it's popular all of a sudden?

Of course a band does not make the same music as long as they exist. (THAT would be boring..)
Personal tastes change so the bands you listen to also change or you always find more bands that suit your situation/emotions/whatever better at that time.

People that listen to the same 5 bands all their life scare me.. lol

Did I write anything new? Not really but I don't care... ;)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Feb 01, 2006 23:01

Ok no offense to any one here but Umm aahh I thought emo was a bird LoL.. What is emo I usta know a girl who said it was like Eskimo people.. Please enlighten me

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 08:30

"And the public wants what the public gets
But I don?t get what this society wants"

I think if the music you're listening to is embranced by the general public then it's time to up stakes and go and find something new.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 03:36

I agree with you Morrigan when u say you dont hate a band because they become mainstream, Good ON them for getting there ... thats what its about, getting your music heard and if it means becoming mainstream then who cares !! thats what they say Kurt Cobains Prob was , he couldnt handle the pressure so he "did" what he "did" ... I tend to still think he had help to this day.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 05:10

Yeah, I think so too. However, HIM does sound a bit poppy nowadays

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 02:52

Yeah, my main taste in music is alt rock and emo. Anything on Deep Elm really :-)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 02:29

HIM are goth rock overhere.. some also say goth pop.. Gotta love Ville Valo's voice.. lol

I listen to a lot of alternative music.
But then again I put a lot of different music styles in the "alternative drawer".
And I'm not all "oh my God, they're mainstream now so now I hate them" every time a band gets popular.
I still like Linik Park, Hawthorne Heights, Slipknot, My chemical Romance, Korn, Such a surge, bullet for my valentine and so on... even if more than 5 people listen to their music! ;-)

What IS emo and alternative in your eyes?

Best wishes,

MorrigansTear

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 01:24

I like some alternative ... but dont really know a lot of bands out there that are emo ... what category would you place HIM in ...?? I love them , I think they would fall more under the Goth Metal category ...