Home > Plus size Forums > Music > This Week Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
This Week
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2005 16:13

1 - Cold Cold Heart - Big Maybelle

Taken from the "Half Heaven/Half Heartache" CD on Westside, this is a fantastic soulful version of the legendary Hank Williams Song

2 - In The Middle Of It All - Arthur Alexander

From "The Greatest" CD on Ace(UK), this is a country-tinged deep soul weepie of the highest order, anyone who don't feel like crying buckets after hearing this song ain't got a heart!

3 - Mine Was Real - Rozetta Johnson

On a Clintone label 45 from circa 1969, this is a mid tempo gem that's seen a bit of action on the UK soul dancefloors, another weepie lyric though!

4 - (I Wanna Love You)Like A Good Man Should - The Spinners

From the "Original Spinners" LP on Tamla Motown from 1967, this is a happy finger-clicking up tempo tune about a guy just asking for one chance to prove himself. One of those Motown tunes that should have been a big hit but ended up as an album track only.

5 - I Want A Love I Can See - The Temptations.

Well the Temps need no introduction! This is from their 1964 LP "Meet The Temptations" on the Gordy label(yes that's another reason for my nickname!), a mid tempo classic with soul and then some! Covered with success by....

5 - I Want A Love I Can Feel - John Holt

On a Jamaican Studio 1 45, this is a fantastic reggae cover of the above tune, by the legendary John Holt, former lead singer of the Paragons who recorded the original of "The Tide Is High", made popular in the 80s by Blondie.

6 - Better Must Come - Delroy Wilson

Still in Jamaica, from the album of the same name on Dynamic from 1971, this is an anthem for anyone feeling a little down who thinks that luck is against them, a positive uplifting tune that rocks a reggae dancefloor.

7 - Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield

On a Curtom 45, this needs no introduction. If you don't know it, find it, play it and smile broadly while dancing around the house, another uplifting classic!

8 - The Horse - Cliff Nobles & Co.

Oh yeah, I'm dancing now and I don't wanna stop so here comes Cliff Nobles & Co on a UK Soul Jazz compilation called Philadelphia Roots with a funky lil' instrumental to keep those b*tts shaking!

9 - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get - The Dramatics

On the Best Of CD on Stax(reactivated by Ace in the UK), this is my theme tune! "Some people are made of plastic, some people are made of wood, but baby I'm for real so whatcha see is whatcha get"!
Funky and then some too!

10 - Retreat Wicked Man - Garnett Silk

Garnett Silk was a young reggae singer in his mid 20s who was being hailed as the next Bob Marley, when tragically killed in a house fire in 1993. This is a fierce musical strike right to the heads of all wicked people everywhere, dedicated to those who think they can stop civilised people living.

Okay that's all for now and you can hear tunes like these on my online radio shows!

Take Care

Gordy

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 04:54

If you're asking, I'm dancing! :)

Take Care

Gordy

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 15:21

i see ur on top form gordy :o)

looks like some good tunes there, do they come with a dance?? ;o) hehe

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2005 16:15

Actually 11 tunes there, it's late and I've had a couple of Jack Daniels'

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2005 16:14

That's strange, my heading was titled "This Week's Top 10 Tunes In The House Of Gordy"!