Home > Plus size Forums > DATING > Where are the grammatically correct men? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Where are the grammatically correct men?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Sep 07, 2005 12:32

There is nothing more annoying to me than when I read a profile that contains "thay" and "Shud" and whatever other words someone can find to mispell. Maybe I'm a little too superficial But it really annoys me and feel like e-mailing a grammatically correct profile to my "assailant". Is there anyone else out there who thinks that this is a major turn off?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Nov 19, 2005 09:25

2 2 Funny SpasticBoy. LMAO

Available only
to logged in members

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Nov 19, 2005 09:22

Okay Music nut I admit it. I'VE MISUSED THERE, THEIR, AND THEY'RE TOO! OH THE SHAME OF IT ALL! LOL

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 15:29

yu hup.. ay chan shure spel reel goode..bhut isent it abhout wat a phersen is likke oon thue inside?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 06:27

I look past all spelling and punctuation errors when I'm chatting because the key there is to express yourself as quickly as possible--errors will happen. BUT, it's entirely different when it comes to profiles. It doesn't take that long to copy what you have written and paste it into a program that has spell check. It can really help improve first impressions.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 00:40

I'm very tempted to mess with you on this one(haha), but actually, it's one of my biggest pet peeves as well. While we're on the subject of "pet peeves", another one of mine....is people that generalize. It wouldn't be kosher, for me to forward some of the e-mails, that I've received from Women on this site. BUT, if I did, and things like poor grammer, spelling, punctuation and Capitalization really bother you.....you would just die!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 09, 2005 07:54

LUVWHTBBWS write:
NO SERIOUSLY,I BELIEVE THAT THE CORRECT SPELLING,PRONOUNCIATION,AND USAGE OF PUNCTUATION MARKS ARE ESSENTIAL IN COMMUNICATION WITH ONE ANOTHER.

I think knowing how to use caps appropriately is nice, too. lol

By the way... do you realize that you have selected that you are a woman, yet in your written you say you're a man?? Made me look... or is that the point?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 09, 2005 05:58

killabee wrote:
aha now i know why i don't get reactions when i send a poem to a beauty.. than i gues my serenades won't work either

Ah well i just blame my teacher at skool, he gave us just 4 hours englishlessons each week

Writing in your non-native language can be extremely difficult, though, much harder than speaking it. Kudos to you, from the small sample I've seen of your writing, you do very well. Even after living in Brazil for a year, and being conversationally fluent Portuguese by the end of it, I could not write well in it to save my life.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 18:21

It goes both ways. I still can't diagram a sentence to save my life, but people who can't speak correctly drive me up a wall. Poor grammer can make a beautiful woman pretty unattractive.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 19:15

mistyangel write:
i met the man of my dreams in a chatroom and he's dyslexic and can't spell for toffee. on the basis of this topic i would have dismissed him and lost out on being the happiest i have ever been with someone who's funny, caring, loving and incredibly amazing. if i hadn't looked beyond the first badly mis spelt words i would never have found this incredible man.
i met the man of my dreams in a chatroom and he's dyslexic and can't spell for toffee. on the basis of this topic i would have dismissed him and lost out on being the happiest i have ever been with someone who's funny, caring, loving and incredibly amazing. if i hadn't looked beyond the first badly mis spelt words i would never have found this incredible man.

Same here, mistyangel. The man that I am in love with is not dyslexic, but is a terrible typist and admits to being a bad speller. Since I was new to this site and was ready to start the process, I decided to answer his e-mail out of courtesy. I am glad that I answered and I am glad that I was patient. It took him a long time to reply when we chatted in yawhoo. Thank goodness he offered his phone number the next time that we chatted. What he could not express in IM, he said very well over the phone. Since then, we have fallen in love, made plans to relocate to be closer to one another, taken a vacation and have been extremely happy. We are 300 miles apart, but he is the first voice that I hear in the morning and the last one that I hear at night, thanks to free mobile-to-mobile service.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 07:25

Wellllll.. I agree that many people may have trouble spelling and typing too and that is not so important to me.... I do take the lazy shortcuts tho... I am guilty of that..... because it is quicker........but I think it is actually ok either way..... if it bothers u then u of course would not be happy in person with that person and if it doesn't then u would be ok with that person so I think it all works out in the end........... and I say congrats to Misty and her new found love..... best to all....... smiles, me
Wellllll.. I agree that many people may have trouble spelling and typing too and that is not so important to me.... I do take the lazy shortcuts tho... I am guilty of that..... because it is quicker........but I think it is actually ok either way..... if it bothers u then u of course would not be happy in person with that person and if it doesn't then u would be ok with that person so I think it all works out in the end........... and I say congrats to Misty and her new found love..... best to all....... smiles, me

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2005 15:36

mistyangel write:

And that's what it's all about...seeing past the imperfections into the heart of a person..good on you, gal!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2005 00:58

Having lived throughout the US, in Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Nevada, West Virginia, and New Jersey, I just thought I would make an observation. The examples given are not really a matter of grammer, but instead the issue seems to come from the environment the writer comes from or has chosen. In Texas, you are going to find people talking and writing with a distinctive southern twist, not just in their spoken (you can't say o r a l here?!?) diction, but also in their non-formal writings. In New Jersey, you will find a completely diferenct set of grammatical rules set by the local environment. Missouri also has it's own distinctive grammer, with particular attention paid to the pronunciation of Missouri (Missourah to natives). Nevada is a melting pot of the entire US, yet still has headlines about which politician pronounced Nevada "correctly," with locals preferring Nevadah.

The point I'm rambling on a bout is that some cultures within the US have their own grammer and spelling rules, and many liguists recognize them as more than just dialects, with formal rules to follow. Most of these same linguists will make a connection between the culture (or environment) of the grammer and it's conception and rules. So while it may not be proper english, it can be considered gramatically correct in it's context.

Since we have each choosen our lifestyle, and therefor the culture we wish to live in, making a decision as to who we wish to be with based upon grammer is not a bad thing. It can help you notice quickly if the other person leads a lifestyle you feel comfortable with.
Having lived throughout the US, in Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Nevada, West Virginia, and New Jersey, I just thought I would make an observation. The examples given are not really a matter of grammer, but instead the issue seems to come from the environment the writer comes from or has chosen. In Texas, you are going to find people talking and writing with a distinctive southern twist, not just in their spoken (you can't say o r a l here?!?) diction, but also in their non-formal writings. In New Jersey, you will find a completely diferenct set of grammatical rules set by the local environment. Missouri also has it's own distinctive grammer, with particular attention paid to the pronunciation of Missouri (Missourah to natives). Nevada is a melting pot of the entire US, yet still has headlines about which politician pronounced Nevada "correctly," with locals preferring Nevadah.

The point I'm rambling on a bout is that some cultures within the US have their own grammer and spelling rules, and many liguists recognize them as more than just dialects, with formal rules to follow. Most of these same linguists will make a connection between the culture (or environment) of the grammer and it's conception and rules. So while it may not be proper english, it can be considered gramatically correct in it's context.

Since we have each choosen our lifestyle, and therefor the culture we wish to live in, making a decision as to who we wish to be with based upon grammer is not a bad thing. It can help you notice quickly if the other person leads a lifestyle you feel comfortable with.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 14:41

LUVWHTBBWS write:
HUUKED ON FONICS WERKED FER MEE!!! LOL!! LOL!!

LOL! I'm ashamed I didn't think of that one myself!

I make mistakes too when I type, but that doesn't make me the one who rode the short bus to school neither!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 05:54

i can not spell that great,but do you know what i have plenty of things that i am good at and thats what makes myself me.
i can not spell that great,but do you know what i have plenty of things that i am good at and thats what makes myself me.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Oct 25, 2005 18:45

I loose interest when a person can't spell and I loose interest real fast, although I know some people have problems typing. They should check their profiles before posting. I think it is even worse when they can not hold a conversation. If a person can not follow the banter of a conversation when typing how can they do it when verbalizing.
I loose boring when a person can't spell and I loose interest real fast, although I know some people have problems typing. They should check their profiles before posting. I think it is even worse when they can not hold a conversation. If a person can not follow the banter of a conversation when typing how can they do it when verbalizing.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Oct 25, 2005 10:03

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 16:25

I noticed that too. Didn't wanna say anything. Didn't wanna step on any toes. No biggie but I noticed.
I noticed that too. Didn't wanna say anything. Didn't wanna step on any toes. No biggie but I noticed.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 07:05

Trixie36 write:
69Vette, I couldn't help but notice the irony of your post as I believe the word you meant to use is "lose", not "loose". Just thought it was funny, no offense intended.
Trixie

lol yeah... I noticed that too.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 06:25

69Vette, I couldn't help but notice the irony of your post as I believe the word you meant to use is "lose", not "loose". Just thought it was funny, no offense intended.
Trixie
Trixie