Home > Plus size Forums > Religion > Sermon was rough today Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Sermon was rough today
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 03, 2005 21:26

I usually love the sermons my pastor gives even when it hits close to home. Today's was very hard on me. It took all I had to not get up and walk out.

His sermon was on discipline and how we need to get our flesh under control in order to be blessed. Ofcourse the only fleshly sin he mentioned was overeating and being fat. The jokes he made about dieting didn't help. What I heard is that God won't bless me because of my weight and my sin of overeating.

I had felt welcomed and accepted and loved until today. I don't know how to overcome these feelings of anger and hurt and offense. I feel humiliated. I haven't felt like this since grade school.

Where did the unconditional love go?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Sep 29, 2010 22:27

Your should have got up and walked out

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 15:47

Hi I am Richard christian male and from Niagara Falls NY. I am looking for a white female big & busty .Tall ,weight does not matter to me.You must like to go walking , country music , picnics ,dinner out ,I like playing pool ,watch wrestling and play assorted video games. I would like to have someone that has a good persontilty does not get upset easly. Likes to cuddle ,white female.... I love to laugh and joke around .I would like a female who knows how to cook as it is a turn on to me. do you like giving an reciving massages whith lotions and oils .a working female would be a plus but at least a type of income would help .I make it on my own with my dissabilty income but belive in sharing expences . I have a friend who is helping me an teaching me daily living things as cooking, cleaning, Well if this sounds good an or want to know any more feel free to ask. Oh I am looking for someone who is honest ,not a game player,has comuncation,also all I can say is please don't judge the book by the cover till you read it from the inside or you will miss out on what is says from the heart.....

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 16, 2007 00:47

Should we feel as sympathetic if your sin were adultery? What about shoplifting? Or maybe lying?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Aug 11, 2007 17:23

I understand your hurt and pain. Unconditional love...a rare occurence today, especially in most churches.

Jesus gave us an example of what unconditional love is. You see, we have to learn to value ourselves, for our entire self, not just the outside, but the inside, the soul, the Divine essence that does not decay overtime.

We often forget that part of ourselves, and if we don't visually fit into the standard of beauty that is popular at a given time, then we feel cast aside, diseased.

As we know, there are many ways that we need to control ourselves....shopping, food, alcohol, etc. I have found that most often the abuse of food, alcohol, etc. is not a matter of discipline, but more a matter of pain. Food/alcohol, and any other thing that we could use in access, is used to make us feel better, to medicate the pain of our experiences.

If we want to understand our pain, that is the first step to heal. Feeling guilty about the 'lack' of discipline, doesn't do anything except create feelings of worthlessness. And the feelings of worthlessness need to be medicated......well, you can see how the cycle goes.

I believe that everyone of us are Children of God. We have within us the Divnity of God, and we can access that part of ourselves, if we choose to do so. Understanding this part of ourselves, can help to make great changes in our lives. And, that Divinity has a foundation in unconditional love..which is what Jesus showed us in his behavior.

Guilt, shame and fear are contradictory to this, and a non productive in healing.

Believe in your Divinity...and there, you will find unconditional love...within yourself.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 05, 2007 13:02

just keep your eyes on jesus that always work for me

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 23:44

some preachers are more interested in being right.

if he says you should put your sin under your feet? where is love?

the worst fleshly sin in america is our spending of our wealth on ourselves while others suffer. that is the real "flesh"

overeating is influenced by psychological factors, physical, etc..

emotional growth and healing sometimes have to happen for us to deal with destructive patterns. i know. i am an alcoholic. sober 7 years. now i deal with overeating. i know why i do it. it is about comfort and dealing with anxiety or boredom.

a pastor should not just tell you to stop an unhealthy behavior. he should help you find ways to replace it with positive ones.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 05, 2006 19:19

God's love for us is unconditional and it didn't go any where. I hope and I pray that the Lord will heal your hurt. As humans we sometimes hurt others even when we have no intention of doing so. You might talk to your pastor and find out what he intended. Im sure it was not to hurt anyone but to challenge and help them. Ive been a pastor before and I know how easy it is to be misunderstood. The Lord be with you.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 03, 2006 17:43

I agree...The best thing to do would be to touch base (if you haven't already done so) and let him know how you feel. Truthfully, he probably did not mean for his message to be interpreted that way, however in trying to communicate is main message, he may not have noticed how this portion of his message may have hurt others.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 31, 2005 02:01

Girlfriend,
Aunt flo has nothing to do with this event at all!Sorry new here and just saw this post.What your pastor may have done in that sermon is in my eyes a far greater and more hurtful sin than any kind of glutony! What happened in that sermon could very welll turn people away from Christ Himself!
You are afraid of standing up and telling him how he hurt you? Yeah I understand.We aren't supposed to do that are we?We are supposed to be ashamed arent' we? Well that's what the world says isn't it?
I think you need to prayerfully go to your pastor if it's not to late and ask him some simple questions like.....
Pastor? Is addiction a sin? Addiction to alcohol or drugs? What about cigarettes? Or even sex?
Didn't Christ die to save us from sinful addictions?And isn't it nearly impossible to break any of those addictions immediately?
So how is a food addiction any different?
And Pastor...Is mental illness a sin? Like is schitzophrinea a sin? No? ok so then what about depression? Or anxiety? Or the after effects of child hood abuse issues? Oh Pastor, those aren't sins? Oh ok. So then is the actually eating of the food the sin or is it the other things that lead to the eating?
Im sorry I know Im rambling but I am so sick of that happening in the church!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jul 07, 2005 16:31

Thank you for your advice. I am not sure yet if I will talk to my pastor. I need to pray about it some more. I don't know that talking to him will do any good. I am thinking he would tell me to quit sinning and put that problem where it belongs...under my feet. He would do it out of love for me however, being on the receiving end of it wouldn't be pleasant. I am thinking some of my problem might just be Aunt Flo(Hint Hint). She showed up this week for a visit.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 04, 2005 12:31

AmyRose, I am utterly horrified about your experience with that sermon. It seems that your pastor was inappropriate in delivering his sermon. I agree you should talk to him about it and let him know how much it hurt you. Church is supposed to be a place where everyone is accepted for who they are!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 04, 2005 06:07

You need to go talk with your Pastor. Tell him how his words hurt you and that you don't know how to take them. Yes, the bible says that glutony is a sin.... and that doing anything to harm your body, which is the temple of God, is a sin... and being excessively overweight is harmful to our bodies as it can kill us. However, there is a way to talk about it without being offensive. My dad is a preacher and has preached a sermon on glutony, but he was not offensive. You need to let your pastor know that you are very offended, because you are probably not the only one.