Home > Plus size Forums > Cultures and Education > Afro-americans where are you? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Afro-americans where are you?
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 12:37

Hey LouGenesSis,

That's totally understandable and awesome!

One of my best friends and former post-college roomie is Black American. Prior to meeting her, I always used the pc term of African American. Through discussions with her and her sharing so much cultural insight with me, I now call her a Black American. Not b/c of the color of her skin, but b/c of all the cultural heritage that is contained within the amazing diverse, disparate aspects to the cultural history that her family lineage clearly demonstrates. I think African American is a good start, b/c it shows respect for the initial roots of that individual's heritage.

But, I think what struck me most was the few times I was invited to my friend's family reunion. There was such a rainbow of skin colors from all over the country in difft states. I realized that, for me, I like to say Black American if that person's family has been here for a few generations, b/c I don't like dismissing the amazing uniqueness of the strength and solidarity that Black Americans possess.

Clearly, we know that this was not a choice of their forefathers who first stepped foot onto American soil. The courage, resilience, and truly unfortunate hardships that a wide span of multi-ethnic Ghanians, Guineans, Angolans, and many others had to create a uniformed brotherhood to unite and save their cultural heritage. This experience is truly incomparable to other widespread slavery experiences around the world. Usually, it seemed that other historic episodes of slavery worldwide usually consisted of a specific ethnicity. But, American/Euro slavery was primarily color-based with little respect or regard to ethnic origins. Or, so it seems to me. (correct me ...with references... if I'm wrong.) :)

The Black American culture arose due to the prevalent skin color racism/discrimination, and out of necessity to survive and still maintain as much integrity of the various African ethnic origins as much as possible. (CONT'D)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 12:36

With the jumbling of so many different peoples and, sadly, the separation of families, I am sure that it was impossible to keep ethnic roots intact. What I see in my best friend is her deep sense of family, a strong respect for her roots, pride in her skin color, and a strength and resilience in her that has been passed down for numerous generations. I believe (as she has also relayed to me) that all these wonderful traits she has comes from her profound understanding of her culture that is singular to Black Americans. To me, that is beautiful and worthy of my respect. This is why I choose to call my friend Black American. In addition, African American focuses on a continent rather than individual countries with separate, distinct histories and cultures. I don't call my Brazilian friend a South America American. She'd probably slap me! I call her a Brazilian American. Two cultures of which she is deeply proud and that I like that about her.

In the same respect, if I meet a Kenyan, I will call him/her a Kenyan-American (if he/she is also American) rather than African American. Or just plain American if he/she so prefers. To each their own. Shrugging shoulders. I just try to understand their perspective, that's all.

There is a painting that my friend had when we were living together. It is a group of crayons ranging in rainbow color with a person's head on each in the color of the crayon. I love that painting. I don't know who the artist is. :( I love this painting and says how I see it. Each unique, separate, distinct...but beautiful together.

I have had a couple of encounters with Black Americans that were offended that I called them that. It is understandable. Rather than go into this lengthy spiel...lol...I just corrected myself and moved on unless they asked (which they then often look at me like...is this girl ever gonna finish?) LOL! I just try to understand his/her perspective and respect them.

Jumping off my soap box now! *grin*

:

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2006 20:28

no disrespect to no one, but i consider myself as black. i identify with that racial definition more than afro-american or even african american. i guess growing up the times i did (the 70's)and being aware of being black and of being proud (right on...lol) i've embraced and am proud of the term being black.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 20:39

hi peeps jus want to say that the way yous are communicating together just in this set of posts even,makes it truly sink in that us lot on our UK island used to be exactly the same..ie able to talk with people in a climate where the exess or deficit of pigment is just that,no more no less,
Nowadays where ever used to be harmony maybe not kinship but at the very least tolerance and acceptance, now only hate intolerance selfishness and greed,

Thanks I love yous all xxxx

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 05, 2005 10:44

Hey 82694, Us is heah. Us is heah. But we put the "afro" down along time ago. I am of African decent. I am African-American.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 24, 2005 21:16

One of the reasons that I like this website is that when I meet men I know right away whether or not a man can be ?that in to me? because of my race or my size.

I want to save my energy and date ONLY men who CAN see themselves with an African-American BBW.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 07:41

That is soooo true!!!! Once u go Black.......

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 09:46

"hi have always been a lover of big black beautiful women , i would love to have one of any race to be my girl friend and hopefully my wife.
I'm 34, ssbhm brown hair, green eyes with glasses. I'm disabled & Diabetic enjoy movies, going out, long walks, cuddling with that special someone.
if your the big black beautiful women that looks at the inner person

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2005 00:24

I am sooo glad I am not the only one wanting an answer to that question. I am single and I prefer African-American men. Since joining this site I have had more hits from others that love what they see & I truly thank them. I however want to know where all the brothas are at and to ask, "where is the love man?"

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jun 19, 2005 18:46

I'm with you girl...it's hard to find a black man.....

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jun 16, 2005 23:36

"Say it loud! I am black and I m proud" Holla if ya hear me!. Sista from da BK.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 17:44

hey gf i hear ya! you say it all and ditto to you . any nice black men listening to this??

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 23, 2005 09:27

Just coming thur to say hi

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 09:16

We Big Beautiful chocolate almond honey rosted cocoa butter pecan sisters are all over the globe!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 04, 2005 05:41

Just thought i would let you folks know this site has a sister site called interracialmatch.com and its the same price but i dont believe they charge you twice as i only have one bill from this company and im a member of both.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 31, 2004 18:09

Looking for African American men. If you read my profile, you'll understand.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 16, 2004 16:39

Would love to correspond with ladies of African Decent.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Dec 15, 2004 18:18

We are here representing where are you?